Paige's Story

I've been so overwhelmed by the outpour of love and support Pat and I have received from our family and friends and even more so by the prayers and sweet thoughts of complete strangers.  It dawned on me that many may not know Paige's story and I wanted to share just a glimpse of it so that everyone may know our little fighter and the battle she fought in her short life.

My sweet baby girl was not scheduled to be due until January 28, 2011.  She must of known her time was short and coming to an end because on December 20 I had pre-term contractions that took me to the hospital.  Doctors and nurses stopped contractions with shots and I was sent back home.  I returned to the hospital on December 26 again with pre-term contractions.  Again, contractions were stopped with several shots and I was sent home.  Contractions persisted and so I was put on medications to stop contractions through Friday, December 31 when I would be 36 weeks.  Saturday, January 1 was my first day off of the medication.  My persistent little girl wanted and I believe needed out to meet her mommy and daddy before she had to go to Jesus.  I had contractions all day long but I was hesitant to go back to the hospital just to be sent home again.  Around 5:30 that evening my water broke and my husband and I headed to the hospital.
Doctors knew that Paige was coming quickly and decided to do a c-section because her activity was a little low.  At 8:39 pm on January 1, 2011 my sweet baby girl was born!  Unfortunately, her fight for her life would continue and the news of her condition would only get worse over the next 2 days.  Paige was taken to St. Louis Childrens Hospital (home of the very best doctors and nurses in my opinion).  Her daddy accompanied her and I stayed at Missouri Baptist Hospital to recover.  Late that night doctors from Children's called me to break the news that what they thought was only an infection was most likely Leukimia.  My heart was broken to a million pieces at that moment and I don't think it will ever be whole again.  On Sunday I was blessed to join my husband and daughter at Childrens so that we could be together as a family.  Sunday evening Paige was Baptised as she was surrounded by her parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles.  On Monday, January 3 Pat and I had to meet with many doctors to hear the most devastating news of all.  Doctors revealed to us just how very sick Paige was and that her chances of survival did not look promising.  Not only was Paige suffering from AML Leukimia she also had bleeding on her brain that had caused brain damage that was irreversible.  Later that night family and friends poured into the NICU to meet Paige and to say goodbye.  Pat and I were blessed enough to have an entire night with our baby girl.  On January 4, 2011 Paige went to Heaven to be with Jesus. 

In her short life Paige taught us so much about unconditional love and the power of faith.  She is such a blessing to us and we will be forever grateful for the 64 hours that we had her with us.  Not a second goes by that I don't think about her.  My heart continues to ache and I use my faith in God to try and understand the reasoning behind this horrible loss. 

 My Little Angel!