Monday, January 31, 2011

Numbers 11 &19

Today Pat and I met with a geneticist from Washington University.  I can't even begin to explain the feeling of walking into a doctors office not having any clue what to expect.  I had no idea going in what a geneticist was or what was involved in genetic testing.  Basically, Pat and I were clueless.  We both thought that we would go, get blood drawn and then we would get results in a few weeks.  We couldn't of been more wrong.  First, the doctor took an in depth family history.  We discussed the health of our parents, siblings and nieces and nephews.  The doctor then looked at us both with a  kind smile and said "Let me just say that there is nothing you did to cause this and there is nothing you could of done to prevent it. This is just one of those rare occurences that we can't explain."  Huge sigh of relief!  Although every doctor we met with told us we did nothing wrong... it was nice to have it confirmed.  This next part is crazy!   The geneticist had seen part of Paige's autopsy report and found out the following...during chromosone distribution very early on in my pregnancy is where Paige's trouble began.  Half of chromosone 11 connected to half of chromosone 19 and then the other half of 11 connected to the other half of 19.  (Confusing I know)  Because these chromosones got messed up they told Paige's body to make too many white blood cells.  Paige's leukimia was caused by this chromosone mix up. Crazy!  It's absolutely baffling to me how two chromosones can cause such a nasty illness in a small body.  Pat and I are still trying to process this information.  We are so very thankful that we did not do something to cause Paige's illness and that future children will not be effected by this occurence.  We are also extremely thankful that God created doctors as intelligent as our geneticist. It's amazing that they can get that much information from blood.  We can only hope that something from Paige's reports will one day help future babies born with Leukimia.  As I said before we are still processing this information.  It's so very hard to understand.  Pat summed it all up on the way home from the doctors today he said, "I hate numbers 11 & 19" and I second that statement.

8 comments:

  1. Although VERY hard to understand, I'm thankful that we have some knowledge of how this horrible disease was caused in such a precious baby. And, I'm very thankful that it was a fluke thing and will not affect Paige's brothers and sisters. I love you both so much and am continuing to pray for strength for you guys each and every day! Enjoy the snow/ice days home together. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing that doctors can figure out all that information. I'm glad it won't future babies for you and Pat. I'm also happy that you are getting some extra days home with Pat. Prays for strength continuing to come your way.
    Rachel F.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you were able to find some answers to why this occured. I am also very thankful for you both that this is one of those very rare things that you won't have to worry about with future children. So sorry that this happened to Paige. Prayers continuing to go out for the strength you need to go on each day. Love you and looking forward to having you back at school (if we ever get to have school).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marissa and Pat,

    I am so glad that the doctors were able to answer some of your questions about why this happened to Paige. Even though we all knew it couldn't have been your fault, it is nice to hear it from the doctors.

    Like we said the other day, Paige is sure working hard to make sure her mommy and daddy get to be together right now! Looking forward to seeing you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some form of an answer is always at least a little comforting. I'm so relieved that this was such a rare occurence and nothing you should have to worry about in the future. Your posts are so admirable and real. Thank you for sharing your story. In the end, it will be for God's glory! Praying for strength and peace for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you and Pat were given some type of explaination as to why this happened. Although it still doesn't make it easier to be without Paige here, at least you know that your future babies won't have to worry with such a horrible illness. I believe a part of Paige's legacy is to bring people closer together and to God...she sure has done a fine job so far!! I pray for your strength and peace in the days ahead.
    HUGS!!
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am thankful that your geneticist was able to answer some of the questions that you have and to once again tell you that you had nothing to do with what happened. We pray for your and Pat's strength every day.

    Miss you so much,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just read your story and WOW, Im so sorry.. Your sweet girl is beautiful.. So sorry you guys had to go through the "un thinkable" but God has a plan.. HE is still good! Remember -- If he brings you to it, he will bring you through it.. Praying for your sweet family!!

    ReplyDelete