Sunday, March 27, 2011

Delivered

Today my sister Marcia and I delivered another large amount of Paige's Pretties to the NICU.    Along with the hats and bows we also took blankets, booties, and sweaters.  Thanks to one of Paige's sweet nurses we were able to take the pretties up to the NICU.  I had mixed feelings about this.  It will always be hard to walk into Children's Hospital because I immediately think back to that awful day when I was rushed down there to be with my sick baby.  Today I was much braver than I expected.  I thought being on the 5th floor (NICU) I would get choked up and nervous.  I definitely felt nervous, but I kept my strength.  Lydia (Paige's nurse) told me how much everyone loves Paige's Pretties.  She told me how happy it made the mommy's and daddy's.  It gave me a sense of peace with being there.  I don't want to have negative thoughts about Children's Hospital because in my opinion it is the very best hospital filled with the most compassionate and loving nurses and doctors I've ever met.  Starting today I want to have positive thoughts about going back to the NICU.  I want to think about the smiles Paige's Pretties are putting on the faces of many scared parents and how sweet those babies look with the big bows and flowers on their heads.  I truly hope I can continue Paige's Pretties for many years to come!

There are so many people I need to thank.  There is no way I could do this myself!!!  My mom and sisters spent an entire day at my house making bows and packaging them.  My sweet friends Nicole and Jenny continuosly make little booties for the babies. My crafty mother-in-law made beauiful blankets and sweaters for the little ones.  Many great friends and even some strangers have donated time and money to help create and fund Paige's Pretties.  I can't thank you all enough.  It gives me great joy and comfort knowing that we are helping others and bringing some joy in a time of overwhelming grief.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!

Delight yourself in the LORD, and He will give you the desires of your heart.
Psalm 37:4

7 comments:

  1. Marissa-
    Thank you for letting me go with you today and be a part of Paige's Pretties. I can only imagine how hard it was for you to walk through Children's as I shared the same overwhelming feelings of being back in those halls. Just as you have been so brave and strong throughout all of this, you continued to amaze me today keeping a smile on your face the whole time. I love you SO much and I hope I can help you again soon to make some more Pretties-- after all, I think I'm getting pretty good at it! I am here for you always.
    Love, Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a nurse in the NICU at SLCH, I wanted to thank you for these gorgeous creations! The parents absolutely adore them, and the babies look so beautiful! Thank you for all you're doing for this NICU. You are helping these parents find healing in a tough situation. Paige will forever be remembered and honored through your efforts. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marissa, I know your ties are to Children's, but have you thought about delivering Paige's Pretties to St. John's or any of the other area NICUs? Having had both a little boy and a girl in the NICU at St. John's, I know they can use some pretty things for their littles ones to get dressed up in! Especially for full-term babies with bigger heads... we had the worst time trying to find cute donated hats for Izzy to wear since she was so big compared to most NICU babies! :) Love, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed every stitch. Love ya
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your passion and strength continue to amaze us all. I hope some of these Pretties are comforting to Pat too. I only wish I could help more than just to donate $$ and love.
    Loved your blog today, it was so positive.
    HUGS,
    Marcia Adair

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marissa,
    Today i am taking care of a baby girl here at children's hospital, that is wearing a pink and brown "Paige's Pretties".
    We absolutely love these. Thank you for all that you do (along with your family and friends)
    Paige will always be remembered here.
    -Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the day 3/27 that my little Allison received one of your pretties! Thank you so much! April Lenane lirpad97@yahoo.com see previous post from Feb.

    ReplyDelete