Sunday, August 28, 2011

Chemo Round 1

Friday proved to be a long day for my dad, my mom and my sister Marla.  They arrived at the hospital around 7:15 in the morning and they headed back home around 5 pm.  Long day!  The doctors put dad's port in around 7:30 and then they had some waiting time.  Back up a bit:  Dad received a port because he is doing a medical trial where he will receive chemotherapy for four straight days.  He goes in on Friday and gets hooked up.  He then gets to come home with the chemotherapy... in a fanny pack.  He will receive the chemo for 4 days and then he returns to the hospital to get it taken off.  In the meantime, nurses come to the house once a day to change out the chemo and give him a new bag of medicine.  Ths medical trial is the exact same dosage as the "regular" chemotherapy (with the addition of two other medicines) he's just receiving it over a 4 day period instead of in one day.  Dad will also have to have several shots a week after his treatment until his white blood cell count is back up.  As of now he is still scheduled to receive 6 treatments... one every three weeks.  After he received his port dad had to be hooked up to a machine to receive a biotherapy medicine.  This took about four hours.  Once that concluded he then was hooked up to the chemotherapy (in his fanny pack).  At this point, mom and Marla learned all about how to take care of dad and the medications.  Marla will be giving dad shots at home for about 8 to 10 days after each chemotherapy threatment. 

The first 24 hours on the chemotherapy have gone very well.  Dad is feeling pretty good.  The swelling in his right arm has decreased quite a bit.  (Thank goodness) Dad said his arm now feels like it has a very bad sunburn on it.  I guess that's from all the medication.  So far, he has not felt sick to his stomach or anything like that.  We are all well aware that this could still be coming.  I think dad's prepared and I know mom is... she has a full pharmacy at their house full of medications.  I've never seen so many medical supplies and medicines at one time (outside of the hospital). 

Dad's spirits remain high and he still has his sense of humor.  I received a text from him on Friday afternoon.  It said, "So far I have not lost any hair.  It's been two hours...."  Last night many of us went over to my parents house... it was just another Godefroid family dinner, but grandpa was wearing his little pack of medicine.  I don't even think the grandkids noticed.  :)  We are all so thankful for the great start to dad's treatment and we are praying that it will continue to go well.  Because we know all too well that things don't always go as planned..... I ask that you pray that God gives my dad the strength and faith to face whatever comes his way. 

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your path.
Proverbs 3:5-6
 



3 comments:

  1. Marissa,
    Wow!! Unless you've been through the fight with someone, you can't really understand what it takes for a person to fight this horrible disease!! I know how hard it can be to watch a loved one go through what your dad is, but keep your spirits high for him...many times that's what keeps them fighting! Praying for strength and peace for your dad and family!!
    Love,
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is strong and he also has a GREAT support team. He will do just fine. My prayers are with all of you.
    Love Mimi
    Remember I'm here is any of you need me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to hear things are off to a good start. It is a long process, but keep your spirits up! God has given your family so much strength, and he will continue to do so! I was glad to see you had an update! I almost asked you about him this morning, but I never know when it's a good time when we have to be constantly ready to put on our smiles for the kids! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!

    ReplyDelete