Monday, August 15, 2011

First Day of School & Update

Today was my first day of school with students for this school year.  The best way I can describe it right now is... EXHAUSTION!  I am worn out!  I'm not sure my feet have ever hurt so bad (I'm sure they did last year during my pregnancy with Paige, but how easily we forget).  It's always an exciting time... starting with a new group of kids, trying new teaching strategies, and just getting a clean slate to work with.  I really do enjoy the challenges my job brings along with the fun stuff.  It's fun to watch kids grow so much in just a school year.  It's rewarding to watch the "lightbulb" go on when they get it!  It's hilarious to listen to the innocent things they say...here's an example... today a little girl came up to me and asked, "Are you having a baby?"  I replied, "No sweetie, I just ate too many cookies this summer."  She smiled at me akwardly and said "That's what I thought."  Haha!  Don't worry I did tell her I was expecting a baby boy!  I tell anyone who will listen to me:)  Overall, today was a great day!  I think I'll go back tomorrow!  ;)

Update on my dad:
Many of you have been asking about my dad and wondering what's going on with his treatment plan.  We found out today that he will be going to the Siteman Cancer Center on Friday.  He will have a fullbody scan (PET scan), x-rays, some other lab tests done and a bone marrow biopsy.  He will then meet with his doctor and hopefully get a plan of action to begin his treatment.  I can't even begin to imagine how my dad is feeling.  I know he's anxious to get treatment started and to get the cancer out of his body.  Who can blame him?  Unfortunately, his arm where the lymphoma is located is starting to really hurt and it continues to grow.  My hope is that on Friday they will have a plan of action ready and treatment (most likely chemotherapy) will start soon after.  It is my understanding that with lymphoma there is no surgery involved, however, the chemotherapy usually is very effective in shrinking the cancer.  I pray this gives my dad some relief from the pain and gets rid of his cancer.  I am asking for these specific prayers:

1.  Please pray that the doctors/nursing staff prepare a plan of action quickly so that the waiting game can be over.
2.  Please pray that when my dad has his PET scan on Friday that doctors DO NOT find anymore cancer in his body.
3.  Please pray that God continues to give my dad strength, faith and a positive attitude to fight this cancer inside of him.

I truly appreciate every single prayer for my dad.  Prayer has become a big part of my life in the past seven months and I truly believe that God listens to every single one.  Thank you for your love and support!  Please keep praying!

Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.

Psalm 20:7




5 comments:

  1. Congrats on your first day of the 2011-2012 school year! I hope you have a great one! I will continue to lift you, your dad, and Landon in prayer. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending many prayers your family's way! I saw you mentioned your Dad's students...I didn't know your Dad was a teacher also. I can only imagine he is a magnificant one b/c I know your Mom is! Sending many prayers to your entire family...your strength is so incredibly inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember God is always with you. I will be praying for all of you. I am there for all of you in anyway I can help
    Love Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you and your family always. I will be praying for a complete healing of your father's body. I will be praying for strength in his body and his spirit. My father in law dealt with a a rare form of lymphoma 3 years ago, went to Siteman, and has been cancer free for 2 years. Shoot me an email or call me sometime, because there were some great things we did as a family that helped him stay on course in his recovery, if you are interested. You and Pat are always in my thoughts and prayers.

    Sincerely,
    Kristen Fleschman

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keeping you all in my prayers, Marissa! :) Love, Mankus

    ReplyDelete